I happen to believe in public opinion political surveys, even if they produce results that confound me. I am no expert on polling, but I do know that the best surveys are done without bias and they seek to reach the broadest sample of respondents possible.
That all said, I am officially beyond all reason at surveys that continue to show Donald J. Trump to be Republicans’ favorite for the 2024 presidential nomination. Why the confusion, the bafflement, the dizzying emotions?
Allow me to list some aspects of The Donald’s life in and out of politics. To wit:
- He has admitted to mauling women, to assaulting them sexually because of his “fame.”
- While campaigning for president, he mocked a physically disabled New York Times reporter.
- He denigrated a Gold Star family, whose son died in combat during the Iraq War; the family happens to be Muslim.
- Trump also denigrated the late Sen. John McCain’s heroism during the Vietnam War because, he said, McCain was a “hero only because he was captured. I like people who aren’t captured, OK?”
- He has admitted to cheating on his first two wives and was accused of taking part in a one-time tumble with a porn star shortly after his third wife gave birth to the couple’s son.
- He claims to be a man of faith, but denies a basic Christian tenet of seeking forgiveness; he said he never has sought to be forgiven for any sin he has committed.
- Trump told a former associate that anyone who served during the Vietnam War was “stupid,” because the war was so politically unpopular at home.
- He cannot tell the truth; Trump lies about … everything.
I am likely missing something, but you get my drift, I am sure.
It is this, for those to whom I should explain: If we are going to insist on restoring American “greatness,” is this the man we should follow down that path? Does this individual appear to the best we have to offer?
No! A thousand times no! He embodies the worst among us and for that reason I am totally and completely baffled as to how this cult leader manages to hold such sway with so many Americans.
I am shaking my head in disbelief.