I want the next president of the United States to undo the damage done by Donald J. Trump. My to-do wish list is a lengthy one.
And by the way, I hope the next president is Joseph R. Biden Jr.
So, for the record and in no particular order of importance, I want the next president to:
- Reinstate our participation in key international agreements, such as the Iran nuclear arms deal; the Paris Climate Accords; remaining a part of the World Health Organization.
- Issue a new executive order reviving the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals for those undocumented immigrants who were brought here illegally as children by their parents.
- Look Russian dictator Vladimir Putin in the eye and tell him he faces severe economic and diplomatic sanctions if he continues to interfere in our electoral process.
- Restore environmental protections seeking cleaner air and water.
- Revive our alliances within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- Start working immediately on comprehensive immigration reform. Accordingly, I also want the next president to strengthen border security without erecting a wall along our southern border.
- Restore policies that welcome gay men and women who want to serve in our nation’s armed forces.
- Stop the effort to kill the Affordable Care Act and instead work immediately to improve it and make it truly more “affordable” for millions of Americans.
- Develop a sensible and comprehensive national strategy to fight the pandemic that continues to kill and sicken too many Americans every day.
- Redeploy resources to developing clean energy.
I am sure there are other initiatives worth pursuing once we get a new president.
My hope remains that the day will arrive next Jan. 20 and not four years after that date.