Ben Carson has counterattacked the “liberal media” for what he calls a “witch hunt.”
Questions about his past have become all the rage. CNN keeps poking around in the hunt for corroboration that he once stabbed someone in a fit of anger. The network can’t find anyone to back it up. Now we hear that Dr. Carson, um, didn’t exactly get offered a West Point scholarship in the manner he said he did.
The media want to know the truth.
The counterattack points to what the doctor/Republican presidential candidate said is a double standard as it regards Democrats running for president. The media don’t look quite as intently at them as they do Republicans, according to Dr. Carson.
Hold on, doc.
Barack Obama faced intense scrutiny over:
- His relationship with a fiery Church of Christ pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
- His friendship with anti-Vietnam War activist William Ayers.
- His place of birth and whether he was constitutionally qualified to run for president of the United States.
- His academic records at Harvard, which Carson brought up again this week.
And, oh yes, Hillary Clinton, the current Democratic frontrunner has, throughout her public career, faced down matters involving:
- Allegations that she covered up information about Benghazi.
- Her involvement with her husband, the 42nd president, in the Whitewater real estate matter.
- The death of her good friend, Vince Foster, who some in the media have suggested was murdered.
So … let’s take a breath, shall we?
I also should mention the names of other prominent Democratic pols who’ve wilted under the media glare.
Do the names Gary Hart and John Edwards ring a bell? How about Anthony Weiner and Barney Frank?
Let’s get back to the story at hand. Did a leading candidate for president of the United States misrepresent whether he was offered a West Point scholarship?
Well … ?